Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Pant Leg Nibbling

While Porter and Sadie are doing much better around strangers in the apartment, I have to remember to only invite people over for the first time when I'm sober. At least the other night I had enough sense to not let Sadie out of the bedroom when my friends Tony and Susan came up to the apartment to use the bathroom quickly after dropping us off, and before driving home to New Jersey.

Porter had met Susan before and he didn't make a peep when she came into the living room. Tony didn't enter with her, though, because he ran to the bathroom as quickly as he could. When he entered the living room, Ben, Susan and I were already relaxed and I think Porter was caught off guard by someone entirely new entering the space.

He ran to Tony and greeted him with a robust bark. Not an alarmed, 'why are here] Sadie-like bark, but a 'welcome to my home, friend' Porter shout. He is our special little guy after all. Tony is a dog person and has had two pits in his life so he wasn't scared, but he didn't help dismiss the behavior either.

Before I knew it, Tony was hugging and kissing Porter, which only fueled the fire. Now, thinking he had a special bond with Tony, Porter wouldn't leave him alone, and even nipped his pant leg when he got up to leave -- an older Porter trick that dates back to the first time I met him.

I was not pleased and embarrassed the next day. Porter is so good yet oh so bad. He's my long term project.

No comments: